Thursday, October 11, 2007

Remembering Jim

It's very surreal that Jim is gone.

Elsa and Karin were at church yesterday evening, and it was weird to see them there without Jim and without people asking how Jim was doing. People are still marveling over how quickly the cancer appeared and then ravaged Jim's body.

But people are also remembering Jim - smiling at his love of chocolate and appreciating his 45-minute sermons. He had a quirky sense of humor, but in almost every situation he seemed to find a way to remind us of the Gospel.

*****

Today I was looking through some of the notes I took during my and Jim's recent studies of the covenants between God and man, and I found a couple of quotes from Jim. I think they basically sum up how he lived his life.
"Those who seek Him will be the victors, and that's not a maybe."

"What Abraham sought has now been found by many, and the key is to help others find it. That's what it's all about."
Jim sought eternal victory through faith in Christ. Because of this faith, he used his life to help others attain the promise of "a great nation" (i.e., heaven) given to Abraham by God. What better way to live one's life than to seek the Lord and then share that Good News with others?

*****

I have one of those calenders with daily quotes, and today's quote seems quite apropos right now:
"Do not keep the alabaster boxes of your love and tenderness sealed up until your friends are dead. Fill their lives with sweetness. Speak approving, cheering words while their ears can hear them, and while their hearts can be thrilled and made happier by them."
- George William Childs
It seems like whenever someone dies, so many things in life suddenly become insignificant, and I am reminded of the fleetingness of this life and how much I need to appreciate people while they are here. Ultimately, though, life takes over again and I forget. I don't want to forget anymore.

*****

On another note, we learned yesterday that the funeral and burial will be October 19th, Friday of next week. From what I understand, that's a longer than normal time to wait before a burial here, but I think Elsa's trying to give Jim's family and others from the U.S. time to get here. Please continue to pray for Elsa and for the congregation. Please also pray for Jim and Elsa's daughter, Diana, who as of last night had not yet had her baby.

Thank you for your continued prayers and well-wishes. I know there are some people whom I've never met who read this blog, and I appreciate you just as much as I appreciate my friends and family. Your encouragement keeps me going.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Alicia, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Jim's faith.

You, Jim's family, and the congregation in Germany have been in my prayers and the prayers of all of us in the library. I know you are a blessing to them and I'm *so* thankful that you are there to help them deal with his books. From what you've said, it would be a monumental task for someone to undertake who didn't have some beginning knowledge of organizing information.

God finds the most interesting ways to prepare us for his service, doesn't he?

Be strong and of good courage. We love you!