Friday, October 05, 2007

Latest news about Jim

Yesterday morning Jim went to the hospital to have the port placed in his chest. The doctors decided, however, that he was too jaundiced to perform the procedure and were also concerned that his blood might not clot properly, greatly increasing the risks inherent in the operation anyway.

Chemotherapy can't be administered without the port, so since Jim cannot get the port, chemo can't be started. With the hope of healing and relief delivered by chemo suddenly taken away, the situation has taken a rather grim turn.

Mark, Karen, and I visited Jim in the hospital yesterday, and he was in a much better mood than the average person in his situation would be. We laughed a lot, and Karen told him his sense of humor is definitely still healthy. Before the Abercrombies and I left, the four of us prayed together. Jim's faith and trust in the Lord still humbles me. He worries about Elsa, but besides that he's ready to go home to God.

This whole situation is very surreal to me. I'm still trying to comprehend how just one month ago Jim seemed perfectly fine. I also find it strange that all of this is happening during the time I committed to be here working with the Springers. Over the past few months I've had many moments of questioning my place here and seeking direction in how I'm supposed to serve, but now I find myself in a position full of opportunity: there's an open door for helping and encouraging Elsa and the rest of the congregation during this time.

I haven't heard anything about Jim today, but I'll post again when we know more. Please continue to pray.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Alicia,

I'm so glad you've updated us but hate to read what you have all been dealing with. It sounds too familiar. A friend of mine here was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last April and it was affecting her liver by the time we found it. There wasn't a happy ending for her other than she was able to see Jesus before the rest of us.

I will definitely keep you and the Springers and your whole church family in my prayers and will also spread the word to everyone here in Searcy.

We love you and pray for you often. Thank you for letting us know how we can pray.

Licia said...

Thanks for your prayers, Lisa. They're greatly appreciated, and I know God hears them. As a certain person's blog title states, "God is good." He's faithful, and He works in ways we rarely understand. That knowledge is helping us during this ordeal.

Unknown said...

Alicia, I know it must be hard to find out that Jim couldn't get the port and start the chemo. Anything you can do to help Elsa and their daughter have time to spend with Jim is sure to be appreciated. Getting the emails printed out was a good idea. They will be encouraging to Jim