Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Quick update and new prayer requests

Today I spent most of the afternoon at Jim and Elsa's house sorting through the almost 200 well-wishing emails they've received in the past week or so. I had asked Elsa how I could help, and this was one task she hasn't had enough time to do. I copied and pasted the emails into a Word document and then Elsa printed it - all 20 pages - for Jim to read. If it wasn't already clear to me before, it was after today: a whole lot of people love and care for the Springer family...and with good reason.

I sat with Jim for a little while as Elsa cooked dinner. His voice was stronger than it was on Sunday when I last saw him, but overall he seemed to be weaker. His spirits, though, are stronger than ever. While his physical condition breaks my heart, his spiritual and emotional states encourage me continually. Jim is definitely sure of what he hopes for. He smiles as you talk with him, he asks how others are doing, and he even still has his uniquely-Jim sense of humor. While I'd like to think otherwise, I don't know that I would be at the same point if I was in his shoes.

Tomorrow is a big day for Jim. He has an appointment for surgery to place a port in his chest through which chemotherapy and other medications can be administered. Please pray that he makes it through this procedure well and with no complications.

After the port comes the next big hurdle: beginning chemotherapy. Elsa is afraid the doctors will want to wait until Monday to start, and she is seeking ways to push for them to begin on Thursday, or Friday at the latest. Please be praying that the chemotherapy can begin as soon as possible. The situation has become very serious very fast, and time is of the essence. No one can predict how Jim and the cancer will react to the chemo, but there's no way to know until it's begun.

Thank you again for your prayers. I know all of us here appreciate them. One of the many wonderful things about being a member of the Lord's body is sharing the burdens of life with fellow Christians - even ones who are half a world away.

No comments: