Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jim Springer, 1942 - 2007

Jim went to be with the Lord a little after 8:00 (2:00 U.S. eastern time) yesterday evening. Karin was able to come from Switzerland again on Sunday, so she was there at the hospital with Elsa.

I don't know anything yet about arrangements except that Jim will be buried here in Bremen rather than in the U.S. The Springers had planned to "retire" here in Germany and so they had no plans to move back to the States. Each of the neighborhoods in Bremen has its own cemetery, and one of them happens to be at the end of Jim and Elsa's street, so he will probably be buried there.

I thought I had prepared myself for Jim's death because we all knew it was imminent, but hearing the actual news was much more difficult than I'd imagined. Perhaps it's the speed at which all of this happened that makes it hard to believe and to accept.

From my perspective, though, I don't think God could have chosen a better time to take Jim. I was among 15 women at the church building yesterday evening for our weekly Bible study when the phone rang. We all knew what the person on the line was going to tell us. Stefanie was the one who finally answered the phone, and Rüdi gave her the news that she shared with the rest of us. Many of us said we are so glad we were all together when Jim died because we could lean on one another. I would not have wanted to be at home alone when the phone call came.

I felt really bad for one of the women there, though. She had not been there for a few weeks and until we took prayer requests at the beginning of the study she did not even know Jim was sick. My heart sank when she left the room and began to cry after Stefanie reported his death.

Helga led our Bible study yesterday, and I admired her efforts to finish the study after Rüdi called, though I think maybe only 2 or 3 people were actually paying attention by that point. Yesterday also happened to be Helga's birthday, so we all ate cake together after the Bible study despite the fact that it felt a little weird to be celebrating and grieving at the same time.

I suppose that's what we should be doing, though, since we know where Jim is now.

Please continue to pray for Elsa, Karin and Diana, and Jim's mother and siblings in the States. Also, Diana's baby was due a couple days ago, and we're all hoping she has the baby very soon and is able to come for Jim's funeral.

I don't think I can handle writing any more about this right now, but I'll try to post something else after church this evening. I can't express enough my appreciation for your thoughts, prayers, and love through all of this.

2 comments:

B0Z said...

I know it was hard for you, but I am so glad you were there to help Jim and Helga and the brethren in Bremen. Jim's faith will continue to plant seeds for a long time to come. I love you and I'm proud of you. To God be the glory and honor.

Dad

thegermanygirl said...

Hi Alicia,

You don't know me, but my husband Ed and I have been friends of the Springers for a long time. Ed worked with them as a missions intern from 1996-1997, and we've both taken part in several of the Springers' ETM classes. Jim and Elsa have been wonderful mentors and like another set of parents to us. So we're grieving quite strongly along with the Bremen church and lots of others in Germany and around the world.

Thank you for what you've been writing about Jim. It's comforting to know that he spent his last days on this earth surrounded by people who love him and encouraged him. And it's doubly comforting to hear about how he was encouraging others!

We're also glad to know that Elsa has an extra pair of helping hands through you. Ed and I are in the middle of moving from Chemnitz, Germany, to Oklahoma. So since we can't be there to do anything "hands-on" for Elsa, it's good to know that she has so many people she can count on.

We're praying for Elsa and all of you, and for the family and for everyone who will miss Jim. I'm excited, though, to hear of how he was looking forward to going home, and I'm excited to know that we will see him again someday.

With love and prayers,
Courtney Cantrell
Chemnitz, Germany