Saturday, September 09, 2006

Thank you....

On Wednesday this week, my student workers hosted a going-away party in my honor. I was quite surprised at the amount of planning they put into the event. They brought food, decorated the library's breakroom, and went to great lengths to keep the details hidden from me. They even coronated me with a purple and pink Barbie tiara that twinkles at the push of a button and handed me a silver plastic scepter topped with a butterfly that also lights up. With the reading of a "royal decree," they deemed me Queen for the Day and forbade me from doing any work besides mingling with my "subjects" who came in throughout the afternoon to visit me. We had an all around silly afternoon. It was great.

Yesterday my cup ranneth over again. And so did my eyes...for most of the afternoon.

I have been blessed beyond what words can describe to have worked with the people at the library. Both the full-time staff and student workers have shown me great kindness and support throughout the time I've been planning for going to Germany. They have been true examples of Christian love. And yesterday, as I worked my last day at Harding, I saw the love of God in them again. From the student workers who literally lined up in my office to hug me goodbye to the staff and librarians who shed tears as they wished me well, each of them marked my life forever. I'll miss each of them, unique quirks and all.

So, to my fellow library employees I say "thank you." Thanks for blessing my life. Thanks for being patient with me. Thanks for loving me. Thanks for being you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Adams!!! I miss you already. I hope that you have a wonderful time in this next month as you are visiting your family, and that you have a safe trip to Germany. Much love! :)

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to keeping up with you on your journey. Say hello to the "Greater Cincy" area for me.

Lisa said...

You just made me cry again, Alicia! It is such a blessing to know you and I look forward to staying in touch during your Germany years. Just don't read my blog too often because it doesn't change very often. :-)

B0Z said...

What a wonderful way to close out you time at the library. I am so happy for you and words cannot tell how proud I am of you.

Dad

Anonymous said...

What are we going to do around here without you.

Anonymous said...

Alicia, thanks for sending me the link to your blog! I'm so excited about all that's ahead for you....and you'll always be in my prayers.
Love,
Jenny