Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The first of the lasts

Today began the inevitable parade of "lasts" of my time here in Searcy.

At work this morning I greeted my student worker and asked her how her weekend had gone. I suddenly realized that I wouldn't be able to do that again. This was my last Monday, so there won't be more sleepy, early mornings to discuss the goings-on of the weekend.

Sometime later in the day, after whimpering to several other people about how my time here is flying by, I realized I was getting a bit too sappy. I guess I've always been a sentimental person (evinced in my seemingly endless "collections" of mementos and other things I "just can't live without" for risk of forgetting my past), but I want to enjoy my time left here, and over-sentimentalizing is not the way to do it. I want to savor being with these people I've grown to love and consider family. I don't want to spend my time lamenting what I'm losing when I've actually gained so much. The relationships I have with my co-workers, student workers, friends, and other people I've come to know and love will impact me for a lifetime. And I can't even begin to describe all the life-lessons God has taught me through them. You know, I probably shouldn't even say that "I'm losing" anything. When you stop seeing people everyday, you don't stop knowing them or being influenced by them.

So, I've decided that my time left here in Searcy is not about the "lasts" but about the "one mores." I get to have one more Tuesday at work. I get to teach the cradle roll class at church one more time on Wednesday. I get to have one more Friday to help close the library and give Eric a hard time about not wanting to make the closing announcement. I get to spend one more Saturday night laughing and hanging out with friends. I get to have one more Sunday to worship with my fellow Christians here. All of these are blessings. I hope God keeps reminding me of that.

And after all, the glass is half-full, right?

2 comments:

B0Z said...

Nice thoughts and a great truth.

Anonymous said...

Ah, lisha. I love you. And this blog is a great idea for when you're in germany. It was good talking to you for a lil bit last night. And i will talk to you and see you soon.