Sunday, May 11, 2008

Continued busyness...and some news

So, I thought it was about time for me to let everyone know what I've been up to lately.

Once again, things have been busy.

A group of us is leaving tomorrow morning for the ladies' retreat in Neckarzimmern. I've mentioned before that the women in Bremen are in charge of planning this year's retreat, so we've been running around this week trying to get last minute details worked out and making sure we have everything we need to take with us. We're expecting 62 women from all over Germany and Switzerland. Last year's retreat was very good, and I'm hoping this year's will be as well. My German is better now than it was last year, so that should help. :)

We get back from the retreat on Friday, and then next Monday the campaign group from Harding arrives. Once again, we've been busy trying to get details settled and prepare the church building so they can stay there. Since we won't have much time after getting back from the retreat before they come, we're trying to get as many things done now as possible. We have 18 people so far who want to meet with the students for English Bible studies, and Rüdiger is being kind enough to take the phone calls while I'm gone this week. Please pray that God will work in the hearts of those who meet with the students, as well as those who are considering participating.

I've been meeting a couple times a week with a woman named Jessica ("yes-ih-kuh" in German) who called a couple weeks ago about the ad for English studies. She didn't seem too thrilled with the idea of reading in the Bible and was wanting to begin meeting with a native English speaker as soon as possible because she's begun teaching English here in town and wants to improve her speaking skills. So, I agreed to meet with her. I've helped her with correcting some papers her students have written and have just spent some time getting to know her. I'm hoping she'll also meet with the students as she's become rather curious about them, but even if she doesn't, I think it's good that I can meet with her.

This past Monday Elsa got back from the U.S. She seemed to have a really good trip. Her class at the Pepperdine Lectureships went well, and she was given Pepperdine's Distinguished Christian Service Award for her 35 years of mission work in Germany. Of course the award is a bit bittersweet since Jim would have received it alongside her and his name would have been on the plaque as well.

On May 1st the congregations in northern Germany got together for the annual "Erster Mai Treffen." Like last year, we met in Bergkirchen, a little village about 20 or so miles west of Hannover. There were about 50 people who came from congregations in Bremen, Kiel, Hamburg, Peine, Hildesheim, Braunschweig, and Berlin. Especially because the congregations are so far apart, May 1, when just about everyone is off of school or work, is a great time for everyone to get together for singing, Bible study, and fellowship. Several of the congregations are rather small (I know Braunschweig only has 9 members, and I believe Hamburg has about the same), so I think the time with other Christians is especially good for them.

We had beautiful weather that day, so a group of us went for a walk in the countryside.



I love this time of year when the fields turn that brilliant shade of gold with the blooming rapeseed. A picture can't capture the color well enough to do it justice.


This month I'm teaching the youngest Sunday school class like I did back in March. Katerina, the usual teacher, and I have been alternating months teaching, but I think I'm going to take over teaching the class later this summer. Katerina is expecting a baby in August, and she won't be able to teach the class and care for the baby at the same time, so she's looking for someone to take her place teaching on a regular basis. I enjoy the class (though admittedly it can be a bit stressful with the little kids), and I think teaching could be a good long-term "project" for me to help with in the congregation.

In other BIG news...I mentioned a while back that I was considering what direction my life should take in the coming months, and I've decided to extend my time in Bremen by a year. My sponsoring congregation in the States has agreed to continue sponsoring and supporting me until August 2009, so I'm working on making sure I'll have the remaining financial support that I need. My landlord has already said that I can stay in my apartment for as long as I want as long as I notify her a couple months before moving out (a common practice here), so that's one less thing to worry about. In the fall I'll have to renew my residency permit, which expires on December 1st, but I've heard it shouldn't be a problem to do that. Thank you for your prayers for wisdom in this decision-making process, and please pray that I will continue to have the funding that I need.

On a personal note, my uncle, Scott, had a massive heart attack yesterday and is in intensive care in Oklahoma City. The hospital called my grandparents and said they needed to come, so they flew out there yesterday from Ohio. Another uncle also arrived yesterday, and my dad's flying to Oklahoma today. From what my dad said, Scott's heart currently is functioning at 15-25% of its normal rate. PLEASE PRAY for Scott. He's only 45, and while things like this are difficult anyway, for my dad it's complicated by the fact that his brother is not a Christian.

Thank you all for continuing to check in on me and for praying for me and the work in Bremen. You're part of the "team." Those of us here in Bremen couldn't do what we're doing without your prayer and financial assistance. It may sound cliché at this point, but it remains true that mission work is a team effort. Some go, some send, and all pray. God uses all of us. Gott mit Euch.

And happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Especially mine. :) I love and miss you, Mom. Thanks for putting up with me for all these years! Wish I could be there with you today.

No comments: