Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Busy, busy, busy....

This is going to be quick because I'm tired. :)

We had a great time last week at the ladies' retreat in Neckarzimmern. I believe there were 61 of us from all over Germany and Switzerland. Everyone seemed to really get into the theme for the week ("Your will be done"), and all of the speakers and Bible class teachers did an excellent job preparing for and presenting their individual topics.

Each morning we had a short devotional before breakfast, and I led the devo on Wednesday morning. Quite honestly, I wasn't sure if my stomach was going to be able to handle my nervousness, but I got through it. A number of people came up to me later and said I had done a great job and presented good thoughts on "God as Father." I was just glad it was over. I know, though, that it was good for me. It was a challenge that God helped me tackle and overcome. And I'm sure the next time (if there is one) will be a little bit easier.

I'll share more about the retreat along with some pictures HOPEFULLY by the end of the week.

The campaign group from Harding arrived in Bremen on Monday evening. So far they've been learning how to find their way around the city and use the public transportation system. They're also, of course, battling a bit of jet lag :), but I think that shouldn't last too much longer. This morning I met with them and shared some general information about German culture and life in Bremen. Tomorrow we'll meet again to discuss the get-to-know-you parties we'll have on Friday and Saturday with the people who have called about the English Bible studies, and I also hope to begin discussing the studies themselves, like how the meetings will work, what they'll study, etc. At the parties this weekend the students will be paired up with the "readers" and will make study appointments beginning next week.

Honestly, it's a bit strange for me to be involved with the campaign from this side. I was here in 2003 with a campaign group, but for the last 19 months (yes, as of yesterday it's been that long. Hard to believe.) I've been living here and working with the congregation, so I have to backtrack a bit and remember what it was like as a campaigner and during my first weeks after moving to Bremen. So far it's been an interesting experience.

Other than that, I'm also trying to get my ETM work finished. Friday next week Liesel, Sergej, and I will take the train to Chemnitz for the regional meeting where we'll discuss the assignments we've been working on since the Intensive Week ended in April. Each of us will also give a 20-minute presentation based on a chapter from the book "Ordering Your Private World" by Gordon MacDonald with each presentation followed by group discussion. I'm looking forward to seeing the other "ETMers" again, though the five from Switzerland and the one woman from Munich will meet in Bern, Switzerland. I saw two of the Swiss women last week at the retreat, and I hope to be able to visit the others sometime in the coming months.

I mentioned in my last post that I'm teaching the youngest Sunday school class this month, and this week I agreed to take over teaching the class on a regular basis. Katerina will teach in June and then I'll take over in July. Her baby is due in August, so hopefully this will give her some time to rest before having to care for a newborn.

So, as usual, there's lots going on. A part of me keeps thinking, if I can only get through May.... But as we all know, there's never really a time when life stops sending you things to do. After May is over I'm sure there will be other activities to occupy my time.

Please continue to pray for the people who will study with the campaigners that their hearts might be open.

Please pray for the students that they might have the words to answer questions that will surely come up and that they might be able to share the love of Christ with their readers.

Please pray for me that I might have the strength to finish the tasks I have to do right now. Life's usually not THIS busy, and I'm trying to get through this time but to enjoy it as well instead of wishing it were over.

Thanks for stopping by the ole blog again. May God be with you and bless you wherever you are and in whatever you are doing.

No comments: