Saturday, December 23, 2006

A "merry" weekend

I've said it before and I need to say it again: I have a wonderful family.

My family sent me a package with a few Christmas gifts. When I called them yesterday to say that I had received it, they were very eager for me to open one of the gifts, so I did. What was inside made my day: 3 CDs of Christmas songs. My family has always been big on listening to Christmas music, both in the car and at home, and I realized recently how much I've missed that this year. My dad compiled the CDs himself, so there's a wide array of our family's favorites. He included everything from Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" to The Chipmunks' "Christmas Don't Be Late." Listening to the CDs just makes me smile. Thanks, Dad. :-)

Last night I went to the Abercrombies to watch a movie on TV. Stefanie said they show it every year, and she wanted us to watch it with her. It was "Little Lord Fauntleroy," which I've never seen in English, so at times (okay, LOTS of times) it was difficult to understand dubbed in German. It's a very sweet movie, though, and I think if we watch it again next year I'll understand a lot more.

I spent a good part of today running some errands. Everything except a few restaurants is closed on Sundays, even when it's not Christmas Eve, and everything will be closed Monday for Christmas and also on Tuesday the 26th (just because they can, I guess), so I had to get some groceries and other things since nothing will be open again until Wednesday. Apparently half the city had the same idea. Places were packed. I half-expected there to be empty shelves at the grocery stores, but aside from a few empty cabbage boxes, there were still plenty of things to choose from.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to Ingrid's for dinner, and Monday I'm going to the Springers' for a Christmas lunch they host each year for people who don't have family. I guess each year they have one of those gift exchanges where everyone brings something and then gets to either choose a new gift or steal someone elses. So, today I also went on a hunt for something suitable for the gift exchange, which was not an easy task. How do you choose something for a gift when you have no real idea of what people in this culture give as gifts? I suppose I'll find out on Monday, won't I?

So, for all of you who worry about me spending Christmas alone in my apartment, please don't. Because I won't. Be alone, that is. :-)

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, however you spend it, and I hope you also have family and/or friends with whom you can enjoy the day.

PS ~ Congratulations, Lydia and Kyle! (They're getting married today!) I wish I could be there to celebrate with you guys, but my heart's there with you. I pray that God blesses and guides you as you start your new life together.

2 comments:

B0Z said...

You are very welcome. I thought you would enjoy the Christmas music. I wish we could do more. We will be laying your stocking out for you even though you're not here, so we will be thinking of you. The Lord must need you more in His kingdom right now than we do here. So just know that your family loves you and we are very proud of you. I am thankful to God that I have a daughter with the tender heart to go help spread the gospel and build up the church with others that are away from families too. So while we miss you and pray for you often, God gets the glory and honor as His kingdom produces fruit for Him.

I love you.

Dad :)

Anonymous said...

Alicia,

This is my first time to visit your blog, but I will try to do so more often. Congratulations on the new apartment. We hope that you will have a merry Christmas, even though it's in a new environment! God bless you in the new year!

Anessa Westbrook