Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers'/Election/Moving Day!

To all mothers in Germany and in the U.S.: Happy Mothers' Day!

Mothers' Day isn't such a big deal here in Germany. No one celebrates with flowers and special lunches. I'm not sure why you would have a day to honor mothers if you don't really do anything to honor them, but they didn't ask me.

What's more interesting to me, though, is the fact that Fathers' Day is on Thursday here in Germany, and dads don't even spend the day with their kids. Most fathers plan to get together with other fathers and head to the local pub for an evening of drinking. To add to the strangeness of it, Thursday is also Himmelfahrt, the holiday celebrating Jesus' ascension to heaven. We remember Jesus returning to the heavenly Father, and earthly fathers mark the occasion by getting drunk with their buddies.

And just so you know, from what I hear, the fathers in the congregation here don't approve of how their non-Christian peers intend to honor themselves.

Today also happens to be election day in Bremen. Bremerhaven and Bremen are the only two cities that comprise the state of Bremen, and I never can find the line between state and city operations. From what I understand, today's election is for city government members and mayor, and both Bremen and Bremerhaven are voting today. What I don't understand, though, is why Angela Merkel, Germany's chancellor, was in Bremen campaigning for her party on Friday if this is only a city-wide election. It seems the chancellor would only take the time to come for something on the state level. Oh well. I can't vote anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

And last but definitely not least, today is another big day in the transition to the new church building. We met for the last time in the old building this morning. After 29 years in that place, I half-expected some people to be emotional. Many of the Christians in the congregation were baptized in that building, either in the bathtub upstairs or in the baptistry that Elsa built in the basement. There are a lot of memories associated with that building. That's where the other students and I stayed when we were here for the campaign in 2003. I didn't see any tears today, though, and it seems like everyone is just ready to be finished with the whole moving thing, and I agree. This is a great opportunity to move forward with growth and further evangelism efforts, so the new beginning that comes with this transition is much bigger (literally!) and more exciting than that which is ending.

After services, Kirsten and I tried to keep an eye on 3 of her children, as well as 5 others, while the other mothers finished packing up the kitchen and the fathers took down the last of the curtains and began moving out all the chairs. Kirsten had brought a cake with her, so we used that to occupy the kids for a little while. Here's a picture of Kirsten and her son, Lennart (right) with Mimi and RĂ¼di's son, Johannes. I can never get over how Johannes eats. He's not quite 2, but he has an appetite and isn't afraid to show it. He always makes me laugh.


Yes, all the plates had already been packed, so we were improvising.

And Mom, happy Mothers' Day. Wish I could be there for it. You know I love you, though. :)

No comments: