Thursday, March 08, 2007

Just another day in Bremen....

Today was a good day, though a bit hectic.

This morning I went to Bremen's Universum with Cornelia, a woman who responded to the newspaper ad for English conversations. Today was only the second time I've met with her, and she's a bit hesitant about reading the Bible (which I'm seeing more and more among the people I've talked with), but she wants to work on her English, and she apparently doesn't mind hanging out with me. She wants to meet again next week, and I plan to take her a sample Bible passage that we would read to see if I can convince her that it's not as scary as she thinks. I'm also hoping I can be enough of a Christ-like example that she'll see something in me that she wants to know more about. After all, actions can speak louder than words.

Back to the Universum: it reminds me of COSI in Columbus, Ohio. They have all sorts of hands-on science exhibits and accompanying experiments you can try. Today there were lots of school children there on a field trip, but nevertheless, it was pretty interesting, though a bit loud.

I rushed home, ate a quick lunch, and then rushed to Jim and Elsa's for a Bible study with Jim. As part of a longer study that looks at the relationship between God and man and how it changed throughout the Bible, the past two weeks we've been talking about sacrifice, beginning with Cain and Abel's in Genesis 4. It's really interesting. I guess I haven't thought much about the idea of sacrifice in Scripture before. Things like how Jesus was both the sacrifice (payment for sins) and the scapegoat (taking away of sins) required in Leviticus 16 for the Day of Atonement. And the fact that the act of sacrifice itself is not all that important to God (Psalm 40:6-8). What God really wants from us is obedience that comes from faith and love for Him. Empty actions from someone just going through the motions don't cut it. It's the heart, the motivations behind the actions that matter. That's why Abel's sacrifice was pleasing to God and Cain's was not. That's why God spared Isaac after telling Abraham to sacrifice him on Mt. Moriah (Genesis 22:9-13). That's why God rejected Saul as king when he feared the people more than God (1 Samuel 15:17-26).

Jim also gave me some tips on how to prepare for several Bible studies. So far, these are the people I'm meeting with:

Ute (oo-teh) - I've met with her twice, but I think I've scared her away. She's not so keen on the idea of the Bible.
Cornelia - Also not thrilled with the Bible but still hanging around.
Mrs. Busch - Met with her once, and she wants to meet again. She also was not excited about the Bible, but she's come around (after I did some explaining). One of her friends is also interested in meeting with me, so perhaps next week I'll be adding another person.
Sylvia - We've met once for a very interesting Bible study. She's gotten mired down in difficulties with remodeling her kitchen (she explained in German and I didn't catch all the details). HOPEFULLY, we'll be able to meet again next week.
Soyoung - We met on Monday this week and will meet again on Friday. I'm really excited about our studies. She's very eager to know more about the Bible.
Horst - I haven't actually studied with him yet because he's been in and out of the hospital due to heart problems. He's Stefanie's half-brother and attends the congregation here, though, so he's not a stranger like some of the others I'm meeting with. We've rescheduled an appointment for Monday.
There's also a woman named Kristina I'll meet for the first time on Saturday.

Preparing for these Bible studies is really pushing me spiritually. It's testing my Bible knowledge. I can't share with someone else what I don't know myself. It's also showing me whether or not I can understand people and their needs. Each comes from a unique background. What Sylvia needs to study may not be what Soyoung needs to read. Please pray for these people that they might be open to God's word. Please also pray for me as I work with them that God might give me the words I need and the perseverance to keep trying.

After leaving the Springers', I did something I've been wanting to do for several months: I got a library card. Bremen has a large public library system, and the main branch is not far from my apartment. I finally walked through it yesterday after meeting Mrs. Busch for coffee, and I was impressed. The building has four floors, complete with an international library and a graphic arts library. They lend out magazines and have self-checkout kiosks. (Yes, I'm a big library nerd. And proud of it.) I couldn't get a card yesterday, though, because they needed my paperwork showing that I've registered with the police (so they can prove I have a valid address), and I obviously don't carry that around with me. So, the lady yesterday gave me an application to take home, and Jim helped me fill it out this afternoon. He asked if I was finally going to become literate, and I answered that, yes, I was gonna lurn me ta read.

Or should that be "reed?"

2 comments:

Lisa said...

A library card!! I should probably have shared my excitement about the Bible studies first, but just had to be happy about the library card. :-)

It's good to hear that you've begun the work you wanted to do. I will add your students' names to my prayer list. Thanks for keeping us updated on your work.

Are you planning to read in German or English?

Licia said...

Thanks for the prayers for the people I'm studying with. My only goals are to share a bit of Jesus with them, both through my life and through our reading of the Bible. After that I'm leaving it up to God to make the seeds grow.

We're reading in English. It's easier for me, and it helps them with their language skills. For the ones who don't come into it wanting to read the Bible, the chance to practice English gets them interested, and God works from there. :-)