Saturday, November 18, 2006

Blessings abundant

Well, I now officially have my own apartment. Thursday morning I signed the Mietvertrag (the rental contract) and got the keys. It was kind of surreal. I can now say that I LIVE in Bremen. It's a nice feeling, though, because it's a great sense of accomplishment and a step forward.

So, yesterday Ingrid and I went to the electric company to have the power turned on in the apartment. While everything is set to turn on the electricity, they can't do it yet because they need the reading from the gas meter. The heat runs on gas, but the thermostat for the heater is electric, so the power company needs both readings in order to turn everything on. Thus, we went to my apartment to look for the meter but could only find the one for the electricity. When we got back to Ingrid's I called the landlord and explained the situation. I originally was told that the building did not have a basement, but apparently there is an apartment downstairs in what would be the basement, and the gas meter is in that apartment. So, I'm either going to have to ring this person's doorbell and ask if I can look through his apartment for the gas meter, or I'm going to have to have the landlord set up something for me. Because the power company can't do anything else until they get this meter reading, I won't have electricity until at least Monday, if not Tuesday.

However, Ingrid and I were able to go to the phone company today and set up my telephone and internet service, so that process is now underway. I've also been looking at things for my apartment. It's a bit overwhelming knowing that I have to get things like light fixtures, curtains, and dishes besides basic furniture. And then there's the big question: What am I going to do with all of this stuff when I leave Germany? I suppose I'll just do what I did in Searcy -- sell my things or give them away. It's looking like most of my apartment furnishings will come either from people at church or second-hand stores, so I shouldn't have a whole lot of money invested in these things.

Despite the frustrations I've experienced in my search for an apartment and in my efforts to make it liveable, I'm extremely blessed. Every day here I pass people on the streets begging for spare change. Some of them play the accordion or guitar in an effort to entertain and coax a few coins from passersby. I am blessed not to be in the same situation. Also, Ingrid has been very hospitable in allowing me to live with her. She accomodates my seemingly constant questions, mistakes, and strange American habits without complaint. Because of this, I have a warm place to sleep, a roof over my head, and food to fill my belly until I get my own apartment up and running.

And I can't forget about my wonderful family. :-) Today they are in Columbus, Ohio, to watch the Ohio State-Michigan game with my mom's sister's family, and they set up the webcam in front of the TV so I could watch the game with them. One of the things I've missed the most here is watching OSU games with my dad and brother. I'm sure people think it's strange to hear of a 24-year-old woman who follows college football, but I come from a long line of Ohio State fans, and it's in my blood. :-) (When I lived in the dorm at Harding, I used to get up early on Saturday mornings to watch the games, and my roommates thought I was really weird.) Anyway, while watching The Game over the webcam of course isn't the same as being there in person with my family, it's the next best thing, and it's good to see all of them and share in the excitement. The game's not over yet, so we'll see how things turn out. GO BUCKS!

I'm also blessed to have encountered many people who are patient with my mistakes with the language. So far I've not come across anyone who looks down on the fact that I don't speak German fluently. When I make attempts to speak in German, people are accomodating and gently correct my mistakes. I guess it's like swimming in the fact that you learn the most by being thrown in and forced to try. Several of the women at church are excellent "lifeguards" for me. They refuse to speak with me in English, even though they speak much better English than I do German, but they never fail to toss me a line when I feel like I'm drowning in lack of understanding or of knowledge of the words I'm looking for.

Most of all, I am blessed to know the God who loves me and knows my every need, worry, and joy. Recently, while riding on the streetcar, I noticed that the teenage girl sitting across from me looked really depressed. I started wondering what she was dealing with in her personal life and then found myself saying a prayer for her. I then started wondering what all of the other people around me were thinking about. It suddenly hit me that God could hear not only my thoughts and worries but also those of all the other people crowded into that streetcar. I then thought about how that streetcar is miniscule compared to the size of our planet and the universe, and God knows everything about those as well. How can the God of such a vast universe care about tiny little me when there are billions of other people on this planet and billions of other stars and planets filling outer space? I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that He does. And that makes me feel special. :-)

The next few days are going to be full. We have a fellowship meal after church tomorrow and then Ingrid and I are going to a Nepalese cultural presentation at the International University of Bremen. Ingrid has befriended a Romanian girl at the IUB, and she invited us to come. I also still have lots to do to get my apartment to a state where I can actually stay there.

Life is good, though, and I never cease to be amazed at all that God has provided for me in life. I only hope that I can spread just a few of the blessings God has so gracially showered upon me to those around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the apartment! It was fun getting to watch the game with you. Hope to talk to you soon. Love you. Be safe.